- How mums used positive deviance to become more confident with their young children. This paper describes how Jez Edwards, a mum who joined in one of the first ever positive deviance exercises in Gosport, adapted the approach. She created a quick way of working through the PD steps with a group of 8 mums to help them to play actively with their small children. Feedback from the group was excellent and they are ready for more PD! download pdf file
- Positive deviance and facilitative leadership – how PD provides a great way of living the adaptive and facilitative leadership role – article by Jane Lewis from the Oxford Leadership Journal, August 2010 download pdf file
- Follow this link to Jane Dudman’s article in the Guardian about the launch of the first UK community PD projects: Copycat Families. Jane has since published an update on the Guardian’s public sector leadership network website about the Blaenau Gwent positive deviance project to tackle domestic abuse: www.tinyurl.com/3srp4k2.
- Positive Deviance – An article by Jane Lewis on finding and harnessing the wisdom of organizational communities – first published in the Business Information Review, Sage Publications, December 2009 download pdf file
- Positive Action – A new management technique called positive deviance has helped to reduce childhood malnutrition in 41 countries, and achieve a 31 per cent drop in MRSA in US hospitals. But is the UK ready to spot ‘deviants’? – article by Jane Lewis first published in Quality World, Chartered Quality Institute, September 2007 download pdf file
- Exploring Positive Deviance – New frontiers in collaborative change. Papers from the Said Business School practitioner workshop, University of Oxford 14–15 May 2010 download pdf file
- Review of a Positive Deviance project for referrals in Hertfordshire Adult Care Services download pdf file
For specific examples of our positive deviance projects, look under case studies.
Please click on the relevant publication for further information and to order copies.
The following give some innovative ideas and practical thoughts about change management by making the most of your strengths:
The Middle Manager in Local Government – Change Victim or Change Agent? – £20.00 + £5.00 P&P
A study of the potential of middle managers to act as change leaders, and ways of supporting middle managers in this role.
Executive Summary – The Middle Manager in Local Government – Change Victim or Change Agent? – £FREE (pdf download)
The executive summary of the paper above, highlighting ways of developing potential middle management change champions.
The Service Review Project Manager – £25.00 + £6.50 P&P
A practical guide to using the Excellence Model to engage staff and improve services in the public sector, and tips on managing communications and the review process.
Engaging with Excellence –£FREE (pdf download)
How Southampton City Council used the Excellence Model to continue their improvement journey.